Tickets for the famous event werescheduled to go on sale in early April, but coronavirus concerns have postponed admission sales.
Despite the ongoing delay, theBirdsville Race Club has reiterated that the September 4 to 5 outback raceshave not been cancelled and a decision regarding this year’s event has not beenformally made.
Vice-president of the club, GaryBrook, said the committee remained hopeful the race meeting would be held andwould abide by allCovid-19 guidelines applicable at the time.
“We don’t have blinkers on,” Mr Brooksaid. “We appreciate there’s still a lot of hoops to jump through, but withinfection rates starting to hit zero in some States, and Australia’sinternational borders closed, we remain hopeful we will be on a winner and ableto run the Birdsville Races this year.
“If sufficient notice is given that it’ssafe to go ahead, and large gatherings and travel is permitted, we hope to holdthe event.
“It’s nice to hang onto that hope bothfor us, racing participants, and the small towns and tourism operators who relyon outback tourism to say afloat. We will give ourselves every opportunity andthe last thing we want to do is jump too early.
“We are in consultation with theQueensland Government and Racing Queensland, and all are supportive of ourposition. Unless you hear otherwise from us, the Birdsville Races are still onthe calendar. We are considering all options as to how the races may proceed.”
Further announcements regarding thesale of tickets and staging of the 2020 Birdsville Races will be made as soonas possible.